Sunday, March 05, 2006

Thoughts on anger

I originally put these scriptures together to have a little chat with two of my kids who have been having a little temper problem lately. Then I realized they would make good reading for a discussion that our group does frequently involving all the kids. Then I realized they would be great for us adults as well. And finally, I realized they'd be great for the blog.

So enjoy, and I hope these verses challenge you to handle your anger better. I know they help me.
    Psalm 4:4 - In your anger do not sin; when you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent. (NIV)

    Psalm 37:8 - Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret—it leads only to evil. (NIV)

    Psalm 103:8 - The LORD is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love. (NIV)

    Proverbs 15:1 - A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. (NIV)

    Proverbs 15:28 - The heart of the righteous weighs its answers, but the mouth of the wicked gushes evil. (NIV)

    Proverbs 22:24 - Do not make friends with a hot-tempered man, do not associate with one easily angered. (NIV)

    Proverbs 26:4 - Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will be like him yourself. (NIV)

    Proverbs 29:11 - A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control. (NIV)

    Proverbs 30:33 - For as churning the milk produces butter, and as twisting the nose produces blood, so stirring up anger produces strife." (NIV)

    Ecclesiastes 7:9 - Do not be quickly provoked in your spirit, for anger resides in the lap of fools. (NIV)

    2 Corinthians 12:20 - For I am afraid that when I come I may not find you as I want you to be, and you may not find me as you want me to be. I fear that there may be quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger… (NIV)

    Ephesians 4:26 - "In your anger do not sin" : Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry. (NIV)

    Ephesians 4:31 - Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. (NIV)

    Colossians 3:8 - But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. (NIV)

    James 1:19-20 - My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. (NIV)


----
Subscribe to site updates here.